Close Menu
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    TRENDING :
    • Digital excellence can yield exceptional in-person experiences
    • OpenAI, Google, and Perplexity near approval to host AI directly for the U.S. government (exclusive)
    • Market Talk – February 18, 2026
    • Klarna CEO says firm will likely cut 1,000 employees by 2030—partially due to AI
    • Margot Robbie’s hot take on filmmaking goes viral as critics slam her latest movie ‘Wuthering Heights’
    • Long-term unemployment affects 1 in 4 U.S. job seekers
    • Viral sleuths are turning the Nancy Guthrie case into content
    • New AI models are losing their edge almost immediately
    Populist Bulletin
    • Home
    • US Politics
    • World Politics
    • Economy
    • Business
    • Headline News
    Populist Bulletin
    Home»Headline News»AI start-up Perplexity makes $34.5bn bid for Google Chrome
    Headline News 3 Mins Read

    AI start-up Perplexity makes $34.5bn bid for Google Chrome

    Headline News 3 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Telegram Email Copy Link
    Follow Us
    Google News Flipboard
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email


    Artificial intelligence start-up Perplexity AI has made a surprise $34.5bn (£25.6bn) takeover bid for the world’s most popular web browser, Google Chrome.

    The three-year-old firm, whose backers include Amazon founder Jeff Bezos and chip maker Nvidia, is headed by a former Google and OpenAI employee.

    But one technology industry investor called the offer a “stunt” that is a much lower than Chrome’s true value and highlighted it is not clear whether the platform is even for sale.

    The BBC has contacted Google for comment.

    A US federal judge is expected to issue a ruling this month that could see Google being ordered to break up its search business.

    The company has said it would appeal such a ruling, saying the idea of spinning off Chrome was an “unprecedented proposal” that would harm consumers and security.

    Chrome has an estimated three billion users.

    Google’s dominance of the search engine and online advertising market has come under intense scrutiny, with the tech giant the subject of two antitrust cases in the US.

    A spokesman for Perplexity told the BBC that its bid marks an “important commitment to the open web, user choice, and continuity for everyone who has chosen Chrome.”

    Moving Chrome to an independent operator committed to user safety would benefit the public, Perplexity said in a letter to Sundar Pichai, the boss of Google’s owner Alphabet.

    Perplexity did not respond to queries about how the proposed deal would be funded. In July, it had an estimated value of $18bn.

    “I love their boldness but this is an unsolicited bid and is not actually funded yet,” Judith MacKenzie, head of Downing Fund Managers, told the BBC’s Today programme.

    Technology industry investor Heath Ahrens called Perplexity’s move a “stunt, and nowhere near Chrome’s true value, given its unmatched data and reach.”

    “The offer isn’t serious, but if someone like Sam Altman or Elon Musk tripled it, they could genuinely secure dominance for their AI,” he added.

    Meanwhile, Tomasz Tunguz from Theory Ventures put the value of Chrome at “maybe ten times more valuable than the bid or more.”

    Perplexity is among the rising players in the generative AI race, alongside more well-known platforms like OpenAI’s ChatGPT and Google’s Gemini.

    Last month, it launched an AI-powered browser called Comet.

    But it has been the subject of controversy, especially form media organisations which have accused it of breaking copyright rules.

    In June, the BBC sent a legal letter to Perplexity chief executive Aravind Srinivas accusing his company of reproducing BBC content “verbatim” without its permission.

    In response, Perplexity said: “The BBC’s claims are just one more part of the overwhelming evidence that the BBC will do anything to preserve Google’s illegal monopoly.”

    It did not explain what it believed the relevance of Google was to the BBC’s position, or offer any further comment.

    The company made headlines earlier this year after offering to buy the American version of TikTok, which faces a deadline in September to be sold by its Chinese owner or be banned in the US.

    As part of the proposed takeover, Perplexity said it would continue to have Google as the default search engine within Chrome, though users could adjust their settings.

    The firm said it would also maintain and support Chromium, a widely-used open-source platform that supports Chrome and other browsers including Microsoft Edge and Opera.



    Source link

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

    Related Posts

    STEM Education in Africa: Engineering Student’s Story

    August 20, 2025

    Microsoft boss troubled by rise in reports of ‘AI psychosis’

    August 20, 2025

    Africa Engineering Hardware: Transforming Education

    August 20, 2025
    Top News
    Business 5 Mins Read

    5 soft skills that set exceptional leaders apart

    Business 5 Mins Read

    At this year’s Web Summit in Lisbon, Hayden Brown, president and CEO of Upwork, was…

    Tesla’s new plan to get cars out of showrooms takes on Hertz

    November 11, 2025

    Facing Hurricane Melissa, State Department turns to Elon Musk’s Starlink in Jamaica

    October 29, 2025

    Japan’s Exports Fall To Four-Year Low

    August 22, 2025
    Top Trending
    Business 5 Mins Read

    Digital excellence can yield exceptional in-person experiences

    Business 5 Mins Read

    When I cofounded Brilliant Earth in 2005, e-commerce was still in its…

    Business 3 Mins Read

    OpenAI, Google, and Perplexity near approval to host AI directly for the U.S. government (exclusive)

    Business 3 Mins Read

    Three AI companies—OpenAI, Google, and Perplexity—are on the verge of receiving approval…

    Economy 3 Mins Read

    Market Talk – February 18, 2026

    Economy 3 Mins Read

    ASIA: The major Asian stock markets had a green day today: •…

    Categories
    • Business
    • Economy
    • Headline News
    • Top News
    • US Politics
    • World Politics
    About us

    The Populist Bulletin was founded with a fervent commitment to inform, inspire, empower and spark meaningful conversations about the economy, business, politics, government accountability, globalization, and the preservation of American cultural heritage.

    We are devoted to delivering straightforward, unfiltered, compelling, relatable stories that resonate with the majority of the American public, while boldly challenging false mainstream narratives that seem to only serve entrenched elitists, and foreign interests.

    Top Picks

    Digital excellence can yield exceptional in-person experiences

    February 18, 2026

    OpenAI, Google, and Perplexity near approval to host AI directly for the U.S. government (exclusive)

    February 18, 2026

    Market Talk – February 18, 2026

    February 18, 2026
    Categories
    • Business
    • Economy
    • Headline News
    • Top News
    • US Politics
    • World Politics
    Copyright © 2025 Populist Bulletin. All Rights Reserved.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.