Close Menu
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    TRENDING :
    • Amazon announces a plan to expand its drone delivery network to nearly 500 U.S. cities
    • Mega Millions Jackpot Climbs to $113 Million
    • Target just received nearly $1 billion in tariff refunds: Will it reimburse customers directly?
    • Lucille Ball’s 1943 Classic Debuted 83 Years Ago
    • Meet Alissa Ellman, Rust Belt Populist
    • Prompts aren’t enough: Why two AI giants are evolving their approach
    • Morgan Fairchild on Podcast, AIDS Advocacy, Controversy
    • Protecting the Midterms—at the Grassroots and in the Courts
    Populist Bulletin
    • Home
    • US Politics
    • World Politics
    • Economy
    • Business
    • Headline News
    Populist Bulletin
    Home»Business»FBI Director Kash Patel sues The Atlantic for $250 million over excessive drinking claims
    Business 3 Mins Read

    FBI Director Kash Patel sues The Atlantic for $250 million over excessive drinking claims

    Business 3 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Telegram Email Copy Link
    Follow Us
    Google News Flipboard
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    FBI Director Kash Patel hit The Atlantic magazine with a $250 million defamation lawsuit on Monday, claiming an article that talked about mismanagement at the agency and his alleged excessive drinking was false and a “malicious hit piece.” The Atlantic said it stood by its reporting and would vigorously defend against the “meritless lawsuit.”

    In the article, posted on the magazine’s website Friday, author Sarah Fitzpatrick said Patel is deeply concerned about losing his job and that “he has good reasons to think so — including some having to do with what witnesses described to me as bouts of excessive drinking.” Fitzpatrick was also named as a defendant.

    His behavior, including “both conspicuous inebriation and unexplained absences,” has alarmed officials at the FBI and Department of Justice, leading one official speaking anonymously to say that worry about what would happen in the case of a terrorist attack in the U.S. “keeps me up at night,” the magazine said.

    Patel still described as pivotal for Trump White House

    The White House told The Atlantic that Patel remains a critical player on the President Donald Trump’s law and order team and credited him for decreases in the crime rate. Trump team is also said to be pleased by Patel’s willingness to go after the president’s rivals.

    Patel, in the lawsuit filed in district court in Washington, denied the allegations of his behavior and criticized the magazine for relying on anonymous sources. Fitzpatrick wrote that she interviewed more than two dozen people and granted them anonymity to “discuss sensitive information and private conversations.”

    “Defendants cannot evade responsibility for their malicious lies by hiding behind sham sources,” the lawsuit said.

    The lawsuit said Patel’s lawyers asked The Atlantic for more time to respond to accusations but the magazine did not reply. “It is among the strongest possible evidence of actual malice,” it said.

    Atlantic outlines behavior it says witnesses saw

    The Atlantic said Patel had been spotted drinking heavily at the private club Ned’s in Washington and at the Poodle Room in Las Vegas, where he often spends time on the weekends. Six people told the magazine that briefings and meetings involving Patel had to be rescheduled for later in the day because of drinking the night before.

    It said that on “multiple occasions” Patel’s security team had difficulty waking him and at one point requested equipment designed to forcibly open a building when Patel was unreachable behind closed doors.

    With his lawsuit, Patel is following a playbook used by his boss to fight back against damaging stories. Last week, a judge in Florida dismissed Trump’s $10 billion defamation lawsuit against the Wall Street Journal over its report about a risqué birthday greeting he had sent to convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein. The judge said Trump had not plausibly alleged the story was published with actual malice, the standard for a libel finding.

    Last September, another judge dismissed Trump’s $15 billion lawsuit against The New York Times and some reporters for a story critical of the president’s business acumen. Trump was allowed to file an amended lawsuit, which he did.

    Trump also sued CBS News and ABC News for stories he didn’t like before taking office again for his second term. Both of those news organizations paid a settlement out of court to Trump before the cases could go to trial.

    —David Bauder, AP Media Writer



    Source link

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

    Related Posts

    Amazon announces a plan to expand its drone delivery network to nearly 500 U.S. cities

    August 19, 2026

    Target just received nearly $1 billion in tariff refunds: Will it reimburse customers directly?

    August 19, 2026

    Prompts aren’t enough: Why two AI giants are evolving their approach

    August 19, 2026
    Top News
    US Politics 8 Mins Read

    Orbán Is a Loser | The Nation

    US Politics 8 Mins Read

    April 13, 2026 Hungary shows how to beat an autocrat at the ballot box. Ad…

    BREAKING: Appeals Court Lifts Judge’s Order Blocking Trump From Mobilizing Oregon National Guard Troops | The Gateway Pundit

    October 8, 2025

    5 top CMOs dish on 2025, how they’re preparing for 2026

    December 20, 2025

    Amazon’s big Prime Day pitch is its AI assistant. Is it working?

    June 26, 2026
    Top Trending
    Business 4 Mins Read

    Amazon announces a plan to expand its drone delivery network to nearly 500 U.S. cities

    Business 4 Mins Read

    Millions more people may be able to get smaller, lightweight Amazon packages…

    World Politics 1 Min Read

    Mega Millions Jackpot Climbs to $113 Million

    World Politics 1 Min Read

    The Mega Millions lottery jackpot has surged to $113 million as the…

    Business 5 Mins Read

    Target just received nearly $1 billion in tariff refunds: Will it reimburse customers directly?

    Business 5 Mins Read

    Target Corporation announced its second-quarter 2026 earnings today, and along with its…

    Categories
    • Business
    • Economy
    • Headline News
    • Top News
    • US Politics
    • World Politics
    About us

    The Populist Bulletin was founded with a fervent commitment to inform, inspire, empower and spark meaningful conversations about the economy, business, politics, government accountability, globalization, and the preservation of American cultural heritage.

    We are devoted to delivering straightforward, unfiltered, compelling, relatable stories that resonate with the majority of the American public, while boldly challenging false mainstream narratives that seem to only serve entrenched elitists, and foreign interests.

    Top Picks

    Amazon announces a plan to expand its drone delivery network to nearly 500 U.S. cities

    August 19, 2026

    Mega Millions Jackpot Climbs to $113 Million

    August 19, 2026

    Target just received nearly $1 billion in tariff refunds: Will it reimburse customers directly?

    August 19, 2026
    Categories
    • Business
    • Economy
    • Headline News
    • Top News
    • US Politics
    • World Politics
    Copyright © 2025 Populist Bulletin. All Rights Reserved.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.